Academic opposition to Sitchin's theories focuses on various fundamental questions that are not answered in his research. First, if planet Nibiru's orbit takes 3,600 years, then its aphelion would be further away than Pluto. At such a distance from the Sun, temperatures are so low that water would exist as ice, life as we know it would be impossible.
humans and chimpanzees share up to 99% of their DNA and the remaining 1% is posited by to some to be of bacterial origin. Thus, present-day genetics fails to produce evidence that supports Sitchin's theories and more readily supports the idea that humans evolved through a series of DNA mutations from a precursor ape-like species.
Sitchin counters that the 223 genes "do not have the required predecessors on the genomic evolutionary tree". Citing the journals "Nature" and "Science", Sitchin holds that there is not a strongly preferred bacterial source for the putative horizontally transferred genes. Thus, these genes are of unknown origin.
The weakest point in Sitchin's theory is the orbit size of Nibiru, icing up the planet beyond supporting life.
A 1% genetic difference between chimps and humans is an immensely large difference, given how different we are in reality. Of course 1% difference in the DNA sequence, spread out all across the genome, effectively means we are totally differerent from chimpanzees. If being human is partly driven by bacterial genes introduced into human DNA, science has yet to make a better case for their earthly origin.
For this must ever be
A secret, kept from all the rest,
Between yourself and me.
- LEWIS CARROLL, Alice in Wonderland